Sunday, April 1, 2007

Another Christmas At War

This morning I was up at 3:00 AM working on today's blog. I was getting everything ready, going through a couple hundred more videos and I came across a treasure. For those that know me, you know I can be long winded. Not today. As I watched this, I reflected not on just this little girl's family, but the families of all of those in the armed services during this time of year. I reflected on the cause of the war, the purpose and so much more. No matter what political side you take, no matter what your position is on this war, there are families that are torn apart and going through some really tough times. This video reflects that. Due to the nature of the video, I'm not even putting up The Virtual Pew ads and support info today. If you want to see those things, and I encourage you to, check out the archives. In fact this is the first ever video I have ever posted, or blog I have written, where this material was not included. The video and song moved me so much that I don't want you to be distracted. I will post the words to the song after the video. When reflecting about things this Christmas, reflect on life, the lives that are lost, and the lives that are wounded as a result of war. Then say a prayer, say a prayer for people like Heather, and people like Shaun.

Heather Martin When Are You Coming Home



News Feature on the Song


Lyrics:

6 year old Heather Martin sings a song that her mother wrote for her Brother Shaun who is serving in Iraq. The song is written from Heather's point of view.

Lyrics

You were almost sixteen when I came into the world.
Mom and Dad had you first then 3 more boys I'm the baby girl.
I sure have a lot to look up to in you, you're really smart and funny with a big heart too.
After one year of college you knew what you had to do.
It's just like you wanting to help with the war.
So you joined the army when I was only 4.
This time of year we talk of big plans but you're over seas in some distant land.
You can't be here for Christmas, I don't understand.
Chorus:
When are you coming home, Shaun?
When are you coming home?!
We lit up the house like we always do but it doesn't seem bright 'cause we can't have you.
In my prayers I ask God to keep you safe.
And I'm trying to be really brave.
Tell me that the fighting's through.
Come home!
I really miss you.

It's hard to enjoy the holidays without you.
But we're so proud of you and all the red white and blue.
Remember that Jesus is your best friend,
And someday our families will be together again.
Wow! You know we'll have a great big party then.

Chorus

I want to show you how tall I've grown and introduce you to my new friends at school.
Maybe we could go and get some ice cream together but I really don't care what we do.

Chorus



No comments: