Thursday, July 15, 2021

Before The I Do's In Engagement and Marriage


Ephesians 5:25 ~ Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.

 

Over the years I’ve done several weddings as a pastor. Of course, I’ve only been a part of one wedding. The wedding to my late wife of over 40 years. But here I am, at a new place, a place where I am once again engaged to a beautiful Godly woman to be married. As a result, I find myself back at the place seeking reminders not for others but for myself. In that reminder I am reminded of the admonition to love my wife in the same way Jesus loved the church, called his bride, and of my need to be willing to give myself up for my bride in the same way that Christ loved and gave himself up for his bride.  Of course, I could speak about the role of women as well, I’ve counseled women as to their obligations but I am seeking wisdom for my obligations as a husband, my own reminder. If I was to say anything about the relationship between a woman and a man engaged in marriage, I would use the following verse to apply for both of them.

 

1 Peter 4:8 - Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.

 

Of course, the question from the passage out of 1 Peter for me is how does on keep on loving the other?  I have seen so many times the love that exists early on, often called puppy love, but over time that love becomes less active, and in some ways, even stagnate. Truth is, for me, in my first marriage that was never a problem except a brief 6-month period or so. I was working way too many hours, and, in those days, I spent less time with my late wife and she therefore as a matter of consequence, less time with me. My eyes and heart begin to stray, and mistakes were made. As a result, my wife and I almost divorced. It was so serious that we even spoke to our two children about the inevitable reality that we were looking at and strongly considering divorce. Thankfully God opened my eyes and I made the commitment to spend less time working. It involved less time at the office and less time at work. I’ll never forget my children correcting me and telling me that I was still working on the computer at home. As a result, I set a schedule that I would not take work home with me and when I worked out of the home, that I would not work later than 5:30 PM, of course there were times I broke that rule but it was very rare that I did. My family noticed and our love and family as a result grew.

 

On this point there was also two other things I did and maintained over the course of my early marriage and will so in my upcoming marriage. I always opened the door for my wife, and I maintained a weekly dating relationship and vacations together. It is imperative that couples find time away with no distractions for time together, on a weekly basis at least 2 days a week, and on an annual basis I think a minimum of 2 weeks a year. In my new relationship with my new bride this is going to be critical. Not having children that we are raising, that time together is imperative, but then again, it is imperative for any couple if they want their love and marriage to succeed.

 

Proverbs 31:10 - An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.

 

An honest man will recognize the importance of his wife, and he, and she will learn, that she is indeed more important than anything. More important than money, investments, time, everything. It is an amazing thing about the love that God can bless between a man and a woman.  Of course, there is an expectation that the wife is a good wife, Proverbs even calls her an “excellent wife.”  That takes work, but work from both parties. In that work, the most valuable thing possible between two people happens, a love where the two, really do, become one.

 

Of course there are aspects that many, even those in the church have taken out of context and not looked at in totality.  The following passage from Ephesians is likely the single passage taken the most out of context, especially the initial instructions to the wife.

 

Ephesians 5:22-33 - Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

 

After reading in context, I always point out that the greater responsibility in the relationship falls on the man as opposed to the woman. The main thing I think to take into consideration is the reality that each party, the husband, and the wife, have obligations and responsibilities to each other. It isn’t about being a solo party in a wedding or relationship, it is about being in it together. The moment one gets more into themselves and their needs than they do the needs of the couple that has become one, the marriage is set up for failure. Marriage is an ordained thing from God. To go outside the design and desire of God is one way to make sure we don’t experience the true totality of the beauty that can come about from God joining two people together. On that point is a good reminder though, God is the one that joins the two together, and God alone. Of course, sometimes mistakes can be made and marriage misunderstood. In those mistakes, don’t expect to receive the beauty and benefits that God assures if marriage and relationship is done right. I think few things exemplify or illustrates that last point more than the last verse in this posting.

 

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 - Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

 

If thinking in the context of marriage and relationship, we can see this verse is often taken out of context. We need to realize, the beauty of two working together in their relationship, in their marriage, is a strength and bond that provides multiple benefits.



In closing, I am working on my new relationship. I have honestly never wanted anything so much. I so love the woman I am engaged to be married. I want it to work so much. I had a great marriage with my late wife, but I want this marriage to be stronger, to be better. Why? Because I think God expects growth. I hopefully have learned enough to make our marriage better on my part and have learned from the mistakes so I can be a better husband. 


There is one last thing I know, I know for a fact, that if others take these passages seriously, seek and pray about the Holy Spirit leading them that they are far more likely to succeed in their marriage and relationships.  I know that for me, I want the love I experienced to be magnified, heck, in many ways, I need it more than ever, so for me, I’m praying, applying, and asking the Holy Spirit to walk alongside me and my bride to be each step of the journey. 


To Donate via Pay Pal, donate at paypal at mike@furches.org

To Donate via Cash App, donate at $MichaelFurches

You can also always donate to The Virtual Pew at 1249 North Saint Francis, Wichita Kansas 67214


Click here to follow The Virtual Pew on Twitter

Mike Furches on Faceboook.

Click to subscribe to my blog

You can also check out Mike's Musical ventures by searching for Mike Furches and Pastor Mike and the Demon Slayer Blues Band. Mary Jane's album is available online and by contacting Mike and the Pastor Mike and Demon Slayer Blues Band album is available on over 150 download formats.

There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives on The Virtual Pew and Mike Furches Reviews. You can also contact me for a free audio book link of The Keystone Kid at mike@furches.org You can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/.

Hopefully, you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

You can donate via paypal at mike@furches.org or cash app at $MichaelFurches

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word. Here is our contact information

The Virtual Pew
1249 N. St. Francis
Wichita Kansas, 67214
Email: mike@furches.org

To follow Mike's Band, Pastor Mike and the Demon Slayer Blues Band, click the following link:

 

The Pastor Mike and Demon Slayer Blues Band


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5lrkdvEZGg

https://www.facebook.com/TheDemonSlayers 

The Movie Guys

Donations to The Virtual Pew

The Virtual Pew Blog

Reviews With Mike

The Virtual Pew Sermons

The Virtual Pew News

 

No comments: