Thursday, April 14, 2011

Daily Journal for The Recovery From Religious Abuse Day 8 & 9

While I don’t think I have been abused by religion, I am taking the time to do the exercises as outlined in the book; Recovering From Religious Abuse, 11 Steps to Spiritual Freedom written by: Jack Watts. I do know I have been hurt by religion, but hurt and abuse as described and presented in the book, and I believe are two different things. I will admit, one of my greatest concerns is that I may have at times been an abuser. I don’t think I have been but this journey will hopefully help me understand where I am at, and in the process, help others as I journal each day of the steps outlined in the book.

I’m to write today a short bit about where I am with God right now, where I am at in life, and to be totally honest about it. I guess in doing that, I can’t help but admit; finances come to mind. I have made sacrifices for most of my life regarding doing ministry work. It seems like, for various reasons, I have screwed up. I no longer have any retirement, I feel guilty at times for the need of my wife’s income, and yet I also know I have done the work of God. If I had it all to do over again, I would make some changes. There is that 401-K I would have without touching it or a retirement plan and investments. I see these things now as being more critical than ever, especially since those funds were depleted away to do ministry. We had a dream house we invested in and lost because Christians weren’t dependable. I have had several experiences like that, I paid taxes, at least they came out of my check, yet I was audited because those taxes were never sent in to the appropriate IRS agencies, I had to pay them again, the second time with penalty. I have had all kinds of things like that happen, far too many, at times I may have felt like blaming God, but I don’t believe I did.

I guess the truth is, from Christians who didn’t pay rent, to schools who didn’t honor the work I did, to churches and denominations which didn’t honor their commitment; I have been hurt in the area of finance. God has surely been there as people continue to meet our needs, whether through a gift certificate that allows my wife and I to eat a good meal, to a friend providing a plane ticket to attend a funeral or even a wrestling tournament, to donations that come in at times through the mail. God has also used other churches to touch and bless and help us when other churches hurt us. But I still struggle with the financial needs. My wife deserves to retire, she has given so much, but we need the extra income. Where churches and Gods people have hurt us in the past, I ask God to intervene and remind us that He is our provider.

God I thank you for what you have done, and I thank you for what you are going to do in our life in regards to finance and the way I have been abused. Give me power Holy Spirit to overcome.

As I close today, I realize there are areas where I didn’t think I had been abused by people within my faith group. Today, I realize, I was wrong. I still hurt, I still grieve over the things we have lost as a family in regards to finance, not because God didn’t provide, but others along the way made the situations difficult and even abused us, whether they realized it or not. I pray for ears to hear and eyes to see the things God has for me in the future.

Make sure to check the blog archive to follow this journal through its entirety, plus an interview with author Jack Watts and the review of the book.

To see the video posted below click on the video. If the video isn’t at full scale or doesn’t show up, click on the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-snU6_zv24


Click here to read about, and order the book, The Keystone Kid

Click here to follow The Virtual Pew on Twitter

Mike Furches on Faceboook.

Click here to visit Mosaic Wichita, the Church in Wichita Kansas where Mike is the pastor.

Click Here to Go to The Virtual Pew Daily Verse and Read The Bible in a Year Passages

Click here for booking information to have Pastor Mike come speak or perform, from speaking to music or magic, something for all groups.

You can also Help The Virtual Pew by shopping on our web site or at Amazon, click here to shop at Amazon and help The Virtual Pew, it won't cost you anything extra, but we get a small percentage of the purchase.

Click to visit with Pastor Mike regarding any of your needs. He will respond to each request personally, and if need be refer you to one of our other pastors.

Click to visit and join the new group The Virtual Pew, at MySpace. Become a part of a different kind of Christian group, check out the page for more information,all welcome, including those who are not followers of Jesus.

Click to visit the Virtual Pew Website and become a part of that ministry.

Click to subscribe to my blog

Click to visit and join our sister group at MySpace Hollywood Jesus.

Click to visit Mary Jane Furches' new MySpace Page

Now for those that do not know, make sure you check out the numerous articles and blogs by checking out the archives. If visiting The Virtual Pew or MySpace they are archived on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where you see newer or older listed under archives and then click there. There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives. You can also contact me for a free e-book pre edit version of The Keystone Kid at mike@thevirtualpew.comYou can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/ and on the front page down on the left side you sill see our store. Your purchase provides needed funds to The Virtual Pew. If you do not see something to purchase you can click on the search engine, (do not put anything in the search box at this time). You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for anything you desire. Hopefully you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word.Here is our contact information

The Virtual Pew
6441 N. Hydraulic
Park City Kansas, 67219

Click on the following links to learn more about The Virtual Pew

Donations to The Virtual Pew

The Virtual Pew

The Virtual Pew Blog

Personal Furches Web Site

Mary Jane Furches MySpace Page

Mike Furches MySpace Page

Mike Furches MySpace Blog

Hollywood Jesus

Reviews With Mike

The Virtual Pew Sermons

The Virtual Pew News

MySpace Hollywood Jesus Group

MySpace The Virtual Pew Group

The Virtual Pew Live Radio Web Page

To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed

No comments: