Friday, September 14, 2007

September 14 Daily Verse, Read The Bible In a Year



The Work of the Holy Spirit

John 16 (4) I was with you at the first, and so I didn't tell you these things. (5) But now I am going back to the Father who sent me, and none of you asks me where I am going. (6) You are very sad from hearing all of this. (7) But I tell you that I am going to do what is best for you. That is why I am going away. The Holy Spirit cannot come to help you until I leave. But after I am gone, I will send the Spirit to you.

(8) The Spirit will come and show the people of this world the truth about sin and God's justice and the judgment. (9) The Spirit will show them that they are wrong about sin, because they didn't have faith in me. (10) They are wrong about God's justice, because I am going to the Father, and you won't see me again. (11) And they are wrong about the judgment, because God has already judged the ruler of this world.

(12) I have much more to say to you, but right now it would be more than you could understand. (13) The Spirit shows what is true and will come and guide you into the full truth. The Spirit doesn't speak on his own. He will tell you only what he has heard from me, and he will let you know what is going to happen. (14) The Spirit will bring glory to me by taking my message and telling it to you. (15) Everything that the Father has is mine. That is why I have said that the Spirit takes my message and tells it to you.

Sorrow Will Turn into Joy

(16) Jesus told his disciples, "For a little while you won't see me, but after a while you will see me. "

(17) They said to each other, "What does Jesus mean by saying that for a little while we won't see him, but after a while we will see him? What does he mean by saying that he is going to the Father? (18) What is this 'little while' that he is talking about? We don't know what he means."

(19) Jesus knew that they had some questions, so he said:

You are wondering what I meant when I said that for a little while you won't see me, but after a while you will see me. (20) I tell you for certain that you will cry and be sad, but the world will be happy. You will be sad, but later you will be happy.

(21) When a woman is about to give birth, she is in great pain. But after it is all over, she forgets the pain and is happy, because she has brought a child into the world. (22) You are now very sad. But later I will see you, and you will be so happy that no one will be able to change the way you feel. (23) When that time comes, you won't have to ask me about anything. I tell you for certain that the Father will give you whatever you ask for in my name. (24) You have not asked for anything in this way before, but now you must ask in my name. Then it will be given to you, so that you will be completely happy.

(25) I have used examples to explain to you what I have been talking about. But the time will come when I will speak to you plainly about the Father and will no longer use examples like these. (26) You will ask the Father in my name, and I won't have to ask him for you. (27) God the Father loves you because you love me, and you believe that I have come from him. (28) I came from the Father into the world, but I am leaving the world and returning to the Father.

(29) The disciples said, "Now you are speaking plainly to us! You are not using examples. (30) At last we know that you understand everything, and we don't have any more questions. Now we believe that you truly have come from God."

(31) Jesus replied:

Do you really believe me? (32) The time will come and is already here when all of you will be scattered. Each of you will go back home and leave me by myself. But the Father will be with me, and I won't be alone. (33) I have told you this, so that you might have peace in your hearts because of me. While you are in the world, you will have to suffer. But cheer up! I have defeated the world.

-------------------------------

King Joash of Judah
(2 Kings 12.1-16)

2 Chronicles 24 Joash was only seven years old when he became king of Judah, and he ruled forty years from Jerusalem. His mother Zibiah was from the town of Beersheba.

(2) While Jehoiada the priest was alive, Joash obeyed the LORD by doing right. (3) Jehoiada even chose two women for Joash to marry so he could have a family.

(4) Some time later, Joash decided it was time to repair the temple. (5) He called together the priests and Levites and said, "Go everywhere in Judah and collect the annual tax from the people. I want this done right away--we need that money to repair the temple."

But the Levites were in no hurry to follow the king's orders. (6) So he sent for Jehoiada the high priest and asked, "Why didn't you send the Levites to collect the taxes? The LORD's servant Moses and the people agreed long ago that this tax would be collected and used to pay for the upkeep of the sacred tent. (7) And now we need it to repair the temple because the sons of that evil woman Athaliah came in and wrecked it. They even used some of the sacred objects to worship the god Baal."

(8) Joash gave orders for a wooden box to be made and had it placed outside, near the gate of the temple. (9) He then sent letters everywhere in Judah and Jerusalem, asking everyone to bring their taxes to the temple, just as Moses had required their ancestors to do.

(10) The people and their leaders agreed, and they brought their money to Jerusalem and placed it in the box. (11) Each day, after the Levites took the box into the temple, the king's secretary and the high priest's assistant would dump out the money and count it. Then the empty box would be taken back outside.

This happened day after day, and soon a large amount of money was collected. (12) Joash and Jehoiada turned the money over to the men who were supervising the repairs to the temple. They used the money to hire stonecutters, carpenters, and experts in working with iron and bronze.

(13) These workers went right to work repairing the temple, and when they were finished, it looked as good as new. (14) They did not use all the tax money for the repairs, so the rest of it was handed over to Joash and Jehoiada, who then used it to make dishes and other gold and silver objects for the temple.

Sacrifices to please the LORD were offered regularly in the temple for as long as Jehoiada lived. (15) He died at the ripe old age of one hundred thirty years, (16) and he was buried in the royal tombs in Jerusalem, because he had done so much good for the people of Israel, for God, and for the temple.

Joash Turns Away from the LORD

(17) After the death of Jehoiada the priest, the leaders of Judah went to Joash and talked him into doing what they wanted. (18) Right away, the people of Judah stopped worshiping in the temple of the LORD God, and they started worshiping idols and the symbols of the goddess Asherah. These sinful things made the LORD God angry at the people of Judah and Jerusalem, (19) but he still sent prophets who warned them to turn back to him. The people refused to listen.

(20) God's Spirit spoke to Zechariah son of Jehoiada the priest, and Zechariah told everyone that God was saying: "Why are you disobeying me and my laws? This will only bring punishment! You have deserted me, so now I will desert you."

(21-22) King Joash forgot that Zechariah's father had always been a loyal friend. So when the people of Judah plotted to kill Zechariah, Joash joined them and gave orders for them to stone him to death in the courtyard of the temple. As Zechariah was dying, he said, "I pray that the LORD will see this and punish all of you."

Joash Is Killed

(23) In the spring of the following year, the Syrian army invaded Judah and Jerusalem, killing all of the nation's leaders. They collected everything of value that belonged to the people and took it back to their king in Damascus. (24) The Syrian army was very small, but the LORD let them defeat Judah's large army, because he was punishing Joash and the people of Judah for turning away from him.

(25-26) Joash was severely wounded during the battle, and as soon as the Syrians left Judah, two of his officials, Zabad and Jehozabad, decided to revenge the death of Zechariah. They plotted and killed Joash while he was in bed, recovering from his wounds. Joash was buried in Jerusalem, but not in the royal tombs. (27) The History of the Kings also tells more about the sons of Joash, what the prophets said about him, and how he repaired the temple. Amaziah son of Joash became king after his father's death.

--------------------------------

Psalm 81
[By Asaph for the music leader. ]
God Makes Us Strong

(1) Be happy and shout to God who makes us strong!
Shout praises to the God of Jacob.
(2) Sing as you play tambourines
and the lovely sounding stringed instruments.
(3) Sound the trumpets and start the New Moon Festival.
We must also celebrate when the moon is full.
(4) This is the law in Israel,
and it was given to us by the God of Jacob.
(5) The descendants of Joseph were told to obey it,
when God led them out from the land of Egypt.

In a language unknown to me, I heard someone say:
(6) "I lifted the burden from your shoulder
and took the heavy basket from your hands.
(7) When you were in trouble, I rescued you,
and from the thunderclouds, I answered your prayers.
Later I tested you at Meribah Spring.

(8) "Listen, my people, while I, the Lord, correct you!
Israel, if you would only pay attention to me!
(9) Don't worship foreign gods
or bow down to gods you know nothing about.
(10) I am the LORD your God. I rescued you from Egypt.
Just ask, and I will give you whatever you need.

(11) "But, my people, Israel, you refused to listen,
and you would have nothing to do with me!
(12) So I let you be stubborn
and keep on following your own advice.

(13) "My people, Israel, if only you would listen
and do as I say!
(14) I, the LORD, would quickly defeat your enemies
with my mighty power.
(15) Everyone who hates me would come crawling,
and that would be the end of them.
(16) But I would feed you with the finest bread
and with the best honey until you were full."

Click here for booking information to have Pastor Mike come speak or perform, from speaking to music or magic, something for all groups.

Click to visit with Pastor Mike regarding any of your needs. He will respond to each request personally, and if need be refer you to one of our other pastors.

Click to visit and join the new group The Virtual Pew, at MySpace. Become a part of a different kind of Christian group, check out the page for more information,all welcome, including those who are not followers of Jesus.

Click to visit the Virtual Pew Website and become a part of that ministry.

Click to subscribe to my blog

Click to visit and join our sister group at MySpace Hollywood Jesus.

Now for those that do not know, make sure you check out the numerous articles and blogs by checking out the archives. If visiting The Virtual Pew or MySpace they are archived on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where you see newer or older listed under archives and then click there. There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives. You can also contact me for a free e-book pre edit version of The Keystone Kid at mike@thevirtualpew.com

You can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/ and on the front page down on the left side you sill see our store. Your purchase provides needed funds to The Virtual Pew. If you do not see something to purchase you can click on the search engine, (do not put anything in the search box at this time). You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for anything you desire. Hopefully you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word.

Here is our contact information

The Virtual Pew
P.O. Box 17731
Wichita, KS 67217

Click on the following links to learn more about The Virtual Pew


blog radio

No comments: