Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Today, Some Things Suck

Truth is, I haven’t felt much like blogging or writing lately. I know why, I was reminded yesterday why.

I attended the funeral of a young man, Alex Funcheon who was killed in action along with two other soldiers in Iraq last week. There are a lot of things going through my mind right now. (click on this link before it dissapears.)

Why do people insist on arguing and tearing others down? It just seems to me that life is too short to spend time with people, or in situations where this type of behavior is a given. Truth is, some folks are drawn to it, maybe even at times so am I, but enough is enough. As young men and young women die in a war that most of us question now at some level, I have to ask, is it all worth it? Is all of the bickering, all of the glorify me attitudes worth it. In a world where young men and women lose limbs as a result of being wounded in war, is all of the “I’m right, you’re wrong” arguments worth it? In a world where a mother needs the hug of a son, a friend needs the laugh of a buddy, and a father needs the arms of a son and family while wrestling in the back yard, is it worth it?

I don’t know the answers to all of those questions. I do know that I marveled yesterday as I saw literally hundreds of motorcycles from the Patriot Guard standing by their motorcycles around a church to protect the family from possible protestors and to pay tribute to a fallen soldier. Thankfully the protestors didn’t show up so all we saw was an expression of gratitude. I also know that when you see a soldier in a church, standing guard over a pair of boots, a rifle stuck in those boots, and helmet over the rifle in tribute to a fallen soldier, one can’t help but be moved and stand back and think. I do know that when one sees a flag draped casket being rolled down an aisle in a church, and hundreds upon hundreds of people stand, and then in that procession dozens of men in uniform, many of them high ranking men, stand and salute that casket in honor of a fallen soldier, one can’t help but be moved to the point of a tear falling down your face. I also know what it is like to sit and listen to many people share about the life of a young man, and then sit there and think of the one question that others have to be thinking but no one is asking, why? I don’t know all of the questions, I only have one answer, and truth is, the questions just cause there to be more questions.

I could go on, but like I said earlier, I still don’t feel like doing a lot of writing today. I certainly don’t feel like being involved in computer problems, personal attacks, or the reality that my family has about 1 week before foreclosure procedures proceed with our house in Oklahoma. Yea, life sucks sometimes, and sometimes, it sucks worse for some than others, like the times a father or mother loose a son and others just pretend that life goes on with no concern of anything other than themselves.

Yea life goes on, it goes on while some experience joy, and others experience heartache. It goes on while some play at their religion, or lack of, and others try to live it out being all they can to be as much like Jesus to others as humanly possible.

I guess that is where the answer is, the answer, at least for me, is in Christ. People will fail, families will fail, governments will fail, friends will fail, and even we will fail, but Jesus, he never fails. For me, that is the answer.

By the way, talk about appreciation, the first phone call I got after leaving the church is from another soldier who just got back from Iraq on Monday. A time for celebration right? Wrong, he was served with divorce papers on Tuesday morning. His wife is giving him the two oldest kids and taking the three youngest and had him evicted to on base housing yesterday. This for a man who has provided, loved, and supported his wife, just getting back from Iraq serving his country. At least that is what she is trying to do. Yea, the bickering, the arguing, the bitching, it is all worth it right? Try Jesus; try to be like him, you might see otherwise if you are a follower of Jesus, if not, I don’t know what you will do, I gave up on that a long time ago.

Now I know this is a downer of a blog, but that is what I am feeling today, not at all times, but certainly now. It is not a good place to stay, I know that, I won’t stay there, but do what we should really do when we grieve and really love someone, give some time before beating them up. I’ll be back to myself far quicker than most, but then again, I haven’t lost a son. Think about what others are going through the next time you start to beat someone up or jump into that bitching arguing mode that glorifies self, but few others.

Peace!

Mike
Do you have a friend, a loved one, a person serving in the military that you would like to have others pray for. Visit the web site supported by The Virtual Pew that was created by Bob and Karen Funcheon prior to the death of their son. Click this link to visit Prayer Reminders.

The following is a tribute to all fallen soldiers. If the video don't appear click on the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nptA5uj6ZRY




Click to visit and join our sister group at MySpace Hollywood Jesus.

Now for those that do not know, make sure you check out the numerous articles and blogs by checking out the archives. If visiting The Virtual Pew or MySpace they are archived on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where you see newer or older listed under archives and then click there. There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives.

You can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/ and on the front page down on the left side you sill see our store. Your purchase provides needed funds to The Virtual Pew. If you do not see something to purchase you can click on the search engine, (do not put anything in the search box at this time). You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for anything you desire. Hopefully you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

Here is our contact information
The Virtual Pew
P.O. Box 17731
Wichita, KS 67217

Click on the following links to learn more about The Virtual Pew.(Please note that the links for The Virtual Pew blogs have been going through some changes and the url’s have changed.)

No comments: