Friday, May 25, 2007

Three Wooden Crosses The Story of a Hooker

I guess one of the first things I should have made clear when looking at the articles reviewing the videos from the DVD Three Wooden Crosses 11 Insperational Videos From Today’s Top Country Artists is that it has only been within the last few years that I have become a fan of Country Music. I remember being with my mother and her former husband listening to Country Music and me hating it. I much more preferred the sounds of Foghat, Bachman Turner Overdrive, ELO, The Who, Aerosmith, AC-DC and others along those musical styles. In fact in those days I really couldn’t stand Country Music that was hat the likes of Porter Wagoner, Loretta Lynn, George Jones and the more twangy styles. I guess it was only after the influx of new artists, the adaptation of more rock n roll into their music and moving to Tulsa Oklahoma, the home of Bob Wills and Cain’s Ballroom that I begin to enjoy Country Music.

Don’t get me wrong, there were those in the field of Country that I appreciated, people like Linda Rondstat, Johnny Cash and then there were those new artists in the day that I really liked, artists like Randy Travis. I was kind of impressed in getting to meet some of the legends when I worked in the field of music, people like Ronny Millsap, Individuals within The Marshall Tucker Band like Toy Caldwell who I had a fair relationship with, (I still haven’t forgotten that Toy died owing me a few hundred bucks.) Then there were those I didn’t meet but met some of the people who played in their band, people like the lead guitar player for Randy Travis who ended up playing on my wife’s cd. It was after the fact of playing on it before my wife realized who he was, and as she was always a big fan of Randy Travis I found myself listening to even more of his music, watching even more of his videos.

That appreciation for, and love of Randy Travis music is a love that didn’t need a lot of fertilizing to grow in me. I have always loved his music and recently when checking out a CD from the library, Three Wooden Crosses, became more aware of his conversion to Christianity and his commitment to it. It has been evident to me that a “Revival” of sorts is happening within the Country Music Industry. While the Gospel has always been key to the industry, the impact, the reality, and the influence of the Gospel on peoples lives hasn’t always been as evident as it is now. Just last week I went to see popular recording artists Craig Morgan in concert and was amazed at his openness in sharing his faith and the impact of his faith on his songs. For all practical purposes, the thousands in attendance could have just as easily been at a church service. I don’t know if all of the people drinking their beer and partying during the concert realized that, but they should have as Craig Morgan couldn’t have made it any more clear.

Today’s video is the title track from the DVD Three Wooden Crosses 11 Inspirational Videos From Today’s Top Country Artists. The video Three Wooden Crosses tells a powerful song of acceptance, change, forgiveness, and God’s love.

I love the song because it is done in a style I love, as a ballad, or story we hear the incredible, tragic, yet, celebratory story of a bus, truck accident that claimed three lives one late night. In the story we hear of the sacrifices and contributions of a preacher, a teacher, and a farmer. We also hear the story of a survivor a hooker, or prostitute. What ends up happening in the story is what I call the shock factor of the song, we find out we are being told the story by the hookers son, who is now a preacher.

Randy Travis has one of the most unique and quality voices in all of music. He is kind of like Melinda Doolittle, he has such a great voice that if ever on American Idol you would have to wonder if people would recognize the quality there is that exists. The difference is that people will, and have recognized the uniqueness of the voice and the talent that goes behind it. 11 Wooden Crosses is a song that also shows the brilliance and importance of a great song. The only critical aspect of this song is that I wish I could find a version that shows the story, not just a concert performance video. That is okay though, it allows the song to speak for itself. Now use your imagination of loved ones as you listen to the song. If you do that, it will make the song even more powerful.

I know many don’t like God, that is understandable as the only witness for God they often see are Christians who don’t really walk perfect lives. Some of them are even quite judgmental. It is a shame that more don’t see the love that often also comes from Christians, those that love God and know how much God loved them. This song, by a man who loves God, is also a song that shows how God can work and change people. Enjoy it.

If you don’t see the video below, just click on the link. If you see the video, click on the video, enjoy and from here on out, when every you see a wooden cross on the side of the highway, you will think of this song. I can even tell you how much I think of it every time I see multiple crosses, including the one just down the street from me that has three wooden crosses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEEMTJKKDQE




Click to visit with Pastor Mike regarding any of your needs. He will respond to each request personally, and if need be refer you to one of our other pastors.





Click to visit and join our sister group at MySpace Hollywood Jesus.

Now for those that do not know, make sure you check out the numerous articles and blogs by checking out the archives. If visiting The Virtual Pew or MySpace they are archived on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where you see newer or older listed under archives and then click there. There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives.

You can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/ and on the front page down on the left side you sill see our store. Your purchase provides needed funds to The Virtual Pew. If you do not see something to purchase you can click on the search engine, (do not put anything in the search box at this time). You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for anything you desire. Hopefully you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word.

Here is our contact information
The Virtual Pew
P.O. Box 17731
Wichita, KS 67217

Click on the following links to learn more about The Virtual Pew.(Please note that the links for The Virtual Pew blogs have been going through some changes and the url’s have changed.)

No comments: