Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Why Stay Like A Baby?

I am a strange cookie, I know that. One of the things some know me for is my ability to be blunt. Some say, “You never have to worry about Mike stabbing you in the back.” Or; “Mike is a straight shooter, it is one of the things I like about him, he is real.” Of course over the years I have discovered something that will shock people. I have learned people lie.

I have discovered many people do like this attitude. I think it is part of growing up in a society that has people competing against each other. We are used to people using us like a broken down tool to get ahead, not for anything other than the satisfaction of self advancement. Along the way, many are hurt and others feel like used up trash thrown by the roadside.

There are those who like the honest, in your face approach when it is used on someone else, but when confronted with the truth of their own issues, they don’t like it; in fact, they may be among the first to turn on you. When one has invested so much time in the development of a relationship that encourages honest communication, few things hurt as much as someone who turns their back on you when they have stated you are a friend.

I have learned over the years when to be gentle, and when to be honest. When having a relationship with someone for a period of time, making serious sacrifice to serve and be with them, when having them request that you be honest, and then you confront them on something like their anger issues, their treatment of children or the way they treat people in a judgmental, condemning way, there should be a point of understanding. Often there isn’t a point of understanding because there isn’t a point of maturity that has developed.

I have learned something over the last weeks, something God is speaking to my heart about, that is the need for universal, uncompromising love, no matter what, but also an expectation that those of us who say we follow Jesus, or even those who don’t but consider themselves adult, recognize the need to grow up and develop maturity. I am not talking about never having fun. I am talking about serious issues, issues like growing in life, growing in understanding.

I can’t help but notice the immaturity in our society. While many do grow, one can’t help but notice there are some who don’t or won’t. I can’t help but notice immaturity when I turn on the television or listen to the radio and see the fighting and squabbling that takes place. It might be on a political point or a point of preference. It may be on an awards show where we see one jealous person take away from the moment of another who just won an award. We might see it when someone we know tries to get credit for something they either didn’t do or had a small part in it. The truth is, from temper tantrums, to the bickering and arguing, we see immaturity all around us, and the church is not excluded from this. In fact, sometimes, those in the church understand the concept of maturity less than other population groups because they have isolated themselves so much, they don’t always understand the real world and real world expectations. This isn’t just unique to the church though, this has permeated all reams of society.
I don’t know if people realize the prison they bind themselves in when they refuse to grow. Can a politician ever get back to the point of doing what is right for their country and constituency? Can a musician learn to joy in a special moment of someone even when their favorite artist didn’t win? Can a person of faith, really make the sacrifice to grow and be more than just a baby in their faith or life? Can they enjoy the growth process we call maturing?

I have a long way to go in my own life in certain areas. Let me make clear though, while I don’t always agree with the assumptions of others about me, I have learned that when people have invested their lives in me, when they have invested their honest to goodness friendship in me, that when they confront me, while I may not like their initial impression or thought, I have learned, they have earned the right to confront me and I am blessed that they are there to help me in my journey called life. Many times I realize that with some time, I learn points of growth, and I am grateful for that growth opportunity. While I have much growing to do, I have grown and I believe many of us need to be encouraged to continue that growth process.

To be honest, I want you to seriously look at your life. Are there areas you aren’t willing to grow, or haven’t grown? Are you willing to do what is necessary?

While this is an issue around the globe, it is a unique problem in the West, especially in the United States. Unfortunately, to many, we come off as more of a spoiled brat than we do someone who truly loves, and serves our community and our God. Thankfully there are those organizations, often Christian based who are doing great P.R. work for us, from Compassion International, to World Vision, and from The Mennonite Central Committee, to New Tribes Missions. These organizations are serving and loving others unconditionally and their impact can’t be ignored.

This week I use a line from William Shakespeare in my sermon, “Life is more than just an act.” I remember the song by Mike Johnson some years ago that followed this line of thought. Unfortunately, many of us need to remember, we can either go through life acting, or we can go through life living and growing. I want to grow in my spirit and in my wisdom until the day I die. I have hope, and I have joy through a leader and guide named Jesus. He is my Christ; he is my forgiver and everything. After all he did for me; I think I owe it to him to become the best man I can be. What about you?

The following is a video by former Yes Keyboard Player, Rick Wakeman. Watch it, listen to the music and contemplate, am I willing to mature and grow.

To view the video just click on it, if it don't appear, just click on the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrtTlx765cI


Click here to follow The Virtual Pew on Twitter

Click here to visit Mosaic Wichita, the Church in Wichita Kansas where Mike is the pastor.

Click Here to Go to The Virtual Pew Daily Verse and Read The Bible in a Year Passages

Click here for booking information to have Pastor Mike come speak or perform, from speaking to music or magic, something for all groups.

Click to visit with Pastor Mike regarding any of your needs. He will respond to each request personally, and if need be refer you to one of our other pastors.

Click to visit and join the new group The Virtual Pew, at MySpace. Become a part of a different kind of Christian group, check out the page for more information,all welcome, including those who are not followers of Jesus.

Click to visit the Virtual Pew Website and become a part of that ministry.

Click to subscribe to my blog

Click to visit and join our sister group at MySpace Hollywood Jesus.

Click to visit Mary Jane Furches' new MySpace Page

Now for those that do not know, make sure you check out the numerous articles and blogs by checking out the archives. If visiting The Virtual Pew or MySpace they are archived on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where you see newer or older listed under archives and then click there. There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives. You can also contact me for a free e-book pre edit version of The Keystone Kid at mike@thevirtualpew.comYou can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/ and on the front page down on the left side you sill see our store. Your purchase provides needed funds to The Virtual Pew. If you do not see something to purchase you can click on the search engine, (do not put anything in the search box at this time). You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for anything you desire. Hopefully you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word.Here is our contact information

The Virtual Pew
P.O. Box 17731
Wichita, KS 67217

Click on the following links to learn more about The Virtual Pew

Donations to The Virtual Pew

http://www.furches.org/donations/index.html

The Virtual Pew

The Virtual Pew Blog

Personal Furches Web Site

Mary Jane Furches MySpace Page

Mike Furches MySpace Page

Mike Furches MySpace Blog

Hollywood Jesus

Reviews With Mike

The Virtual Pew Sermons

The Virtual Pew News

MySpace Hollywood Jesus Group

MySpace The Virtual Pew Group

The Virtual Pew Live Radio Web Page

To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed

Phone Number to Call During The Virtual Pew Live Show, (Please never call prior to the start of the show) - (646) 716-8587

Phone Number to Call During The HJ Live Show, (Please never call prior to the start of the show) - (646) 716-8853

To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed -http://www.blogtalkradio.com/feeds/thevirtualpew

To Subscribe to HJ Live Live Feed –http://www.blogtalkradio.com/feeds/hollywoodjesus

No comments: