Friday, April 4, 2008

What Did You Say About Movies? What Good Could Come Out Of Hollywood?

Recently I have been involved in some discussion as to the appropriateness of what I do for Hollywood Jesus. Is there value in all movies? Can you find spiritual truth in any movie? And the list goes on and on. As is often the case, some people don’t seem to understand, want to question worthiness, and even make confrontation as to the things I and others at Hollywood Jesus do.

I can’t speak for every person at Hollywood Jesus that reviews film. I can speak for the integrity and effectiveness of the web site. I can also speak of my own intent, my own reasoning, and my perspectives.

I am going to make a challenging comment, truth is truth, no matter what the source. God is also God and can use anything he chooses to get his point across. Thankfully, and fortunately, God hasn’t given up on making effort to find ways to reach others with his love, even if that means finding a point of spiritual truth that one can relate to in a movie, song, book, television show, or what ever method God chooses to use.

I review movies with this intent; I understand that millions of people see movies on weekends, whether Christians like it, support it or not. I also realize that millions of people, don’t believe the Bible, and have virtually no respect for Christians. In many cases this is for nothing more than the hypocrisy and lack of love shown from those who call themselves followers of Jesus. While a true follower of Jesus can be the best testimony there is to the existence of God, a weak or judgmental Christian can also be the greatest hindrance there is to the reality of Jesus Christ. I challenge, it begins and ends with love. While judgment is certainly involved, that judgment is offered after the offer and desire for the acceptance of love. It is also offered and given by God.

In my reviews of movies I have two specific purposes, to show Christians who may or may not see the movie to help recognize any spiritual truth that may be in the movie, no matter how small. Why do I do this? I do it because of the need to find ways to share Jesus love with the world. Unfortunately, many make excuses to not do this, I am grateful to be a part of a ministry that makes the sacrifice to find ways to share this. I also review movies so that those who are not followers of Jesus can be pointed to spiritual nuggets of truth in the reviews. I have been blessed and frankly surprised at the number of people who have responded in a positive way here. Whether a son of a Baptist preacher brought back to faith, an abused daughter who had given up on God, or a Wiccan discovering the real Jesus, I have been blessed on many occasions to be a part of a life changing ministry that makes a difference. The Bible is rather clear, we can judge who is and who is not a follower of Jesus on several concepts, including their fruit, their love, and their response as to who Jesus Christ is. On these points, I again challenge, I have been blessed to be a part of this ministry.

Today I had a friend and fellow reviewer from Hollywood Jesus send me and the other reviewers at Hollywood Jesus a video he had put together. I am asking you to watch that video today. See how spiritual truths are addressed in movies, television shows and so forth. I ask you to watch, I ask you to respond with your thoughts.

The friend sending the video was Ken Priebe. I am posting his message and then posting he video. Just click on the video to watch, if the video don’t appear, just click on the link,

Greetings to All at HollywoodJesus!

Recently I was inspired by seeing various movie images in my head while listening to my iPod at the bus-stop and just had to take advantage of my time off over Easter Weekend to get this creative impulse out of my system.

I present to you a music video I edited together, inspired by lyrics which I realized reflect the experience of the Hero's Journey and the spiritual thread that runs through so many epic movies. Soak in how the stories weave with the words and your own journey!

This is dedicated to all of you who "dare to move" for Hollywood Jesus!

Blessings,
Ken Priebe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavhdsGu4Hg



Click Here to Go to The Virtual Pew Daily Verse and Read The Bible in a Year Passages

Click here for booking information to have Pastor Mike come speak or perform, from speaking to music or magic, something for all groups.

Click to visit with Pastor Mike regarding any of your needs. He will respond to each request personally, and if need be refer you to one of our other pastors.

Click to visit and join the new group The Virtual Pew, at MySpace. Become a part of a different kind of Christian group, check out the page for more information,all welcome, including those who are not followers of Jesus.

Click to visit the Virtual Pew Website and become a part of that ministry.

Click to subscribe to my blog

Click to visit and join our sister group at MySpace Hollywood Jesus.

Now for those that do not know, make sure you check out the numerous articles and blogs by checking out the archives. If visiting The Virtual Pew or MySpace they are archived on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where you see newer or older listed under archives and then click there. There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives. You can also contact me for a free e-book pre edit version of The Keystone Kid at mike@thevirtualpew.com

You can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/ and on the front page down on the left side you sill see our store. Your purchase provides needed funds to The Virtual Pew. If you do not see something to purchase you can click on the search engine, (do not put anything in the search box at this time). You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for anything you desire. Hopefully you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word.

Here is our contact information

The Virtual Pew
P.O. Box 17731
Wichita, KS 67217

Click on the following links to learn more about The Virtual Pew

Donations to The Virtual Pew
The Virtual Pew
The Virtual Pew Blog
Personal Furches Web Site
Mike Furches MySpace Page
Mike Furches MySpace Blog
Hollywood Jesus
Reviews With Mike
The Virtual Pew Sermons
The Virtual Pew News
MySpace Hollywood Jesus Group
MySpace The Virtual Pew Group
The Virtual Pew Live Radio Web Page
To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed

Phone Number to Call During The Virtual Pew Live Show, (Please never call prior to the start of the show) - (646) 716-8587

Phone Number to Call During The HJ Live Show, (Please never call prior to the start of the show) - (646) 716-8853

To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed - http://www.blogtalkradio.com/feeds/thevirtualpew

To Subscribe to HJ Live Live Feed – http://www.blogtalkradio.com/feeds/hollywoodjesus

No comments: