Friday, October 10, 2008

Welcome to My Neighborhood, Won’t You Be My Neighbor

Today I am taking a break and making sure I write about my day, and something that has moved me and will hopefully cause you to reflect.

The day started off in a nice and exciting way. I had a meeting with an individual regarding taking over the booking service for The Virtual Pew. What may come as a surprise to some is in the very near future I will be reducing my responsibilities from Youth Horizons here in Wichita. I am leaving employment at Youth Horizons, more of which I will write about soon, but the start of the day was exciting as I begin to explore the reengagement of The Virtual Pew. While leaving Youth Horizons, I will reengage full-time with The Virtual Pew and Mosaic Church, more about that later.

After my morning meeting I returned home to take part in an interview for a magazine article to be published about me and The Virtual Pew in the Dr. Charles Stanley Magazine and program, In Touch. The article will reflect on part of my past, my history, my relationship with God and more. It is good to reflect on the life one has led and the impact, or lack of impact had on others.

After my interview I spent some time working on my wife’s MySpace page which I created for her this week. I have created a music store for her, posted her music and then some. I am exited to see possibilities open up for my wife. I want to give back to her, she has made so many sacrifices for me of close to 30 years.

After this busy morning I sat back in my recliner and watched a little television while getting ready to go to work at Youth Horizons tonight. I am on another long binge with little or no sleep so I needed the relaxation. While sitting back I scrolled through the channels and saw a program on the Biography channel that just mesmerized me. Showing was the biography of Fred Rogers, also known as Mr. Rogers from the popular PBS television program. I have to admit, I have grown to appreciate him as an adult more than I ever did as a child. While watching the program, I teared up at the incredible life and witness this man had lived.

As a child, I always thought Mr. Rogers was kind of wimpy. I never really appreciated the gentile nature of this giant of a man, maybe which was because I was too busy trying to be tough and grow up long before I should have. While my circumstances were much different than most, the issue of growing up too fast, not being a child, learning to love and appreciate the things around us are things we all go through, no matter if growing up in a church family, or a non religious family, the attributes of loving, being accepted, and being loved are necessities we all need and long for.

As I watched the tribute of Fred Rogers I couldn’t help but be impacted by several things which we could all learn from. The first was his gentleness. This man was a man who was known for his soft spoken manner and his gentle spirit. It was amazing at how he would adapt and speak to others on their level, while using a spirit and attitude that was gentle to the person he was speaking to. He would be gentle not in a condescending or disrespectful way, but a way that showed respect and appreciation.

Fred Rogers was also soft spoken. I don’t recall ever seeing an episode where the man raised his voice. Even in scenes where he would be yelling to get someone’s attention, he had a way of doing this in such a way that it made it difficult for him to be misunderstood. I was reminded, a soft voice could be heard, and in fact it was something that demanded to be heard while garnishing the respect of the one being spoken to.

Fred Rogers lived a fairly full life before succumbing to stomach cancer at the age of 74, dying just a month prior to his 75th birthday. This man who was used by the United States government to eliminate the stress and fears of children during war time and terrorists activity, had addressed the issues of physical disabilities, and raised a generation of youth with the importance of being a friend among other things, never complained, never made excuses regarding his illness. He not only had an impact on society then, he still does as his programs continue in reruns and those whose life he touched still cherish their opportunity to meet, learn from, and for the few honored so, get to know this man. Apparently what we saw on television was the real Fred Rogers though, in other words, he lived his life 24 hours a day being the man God made him to be. For those who watched the show, those who watch the show in reruns, we can get to know Fred Rogers and still learn from his wonderful examples as that man is Fred Rogers. While Fred Rogers died way too soon, he left an impact that will carry on.

While this is meant as a tribute to Fred Rogers, I hope others will be challenged by the man as I have been challenged today, while sitting back and relaxing a little. Can I be softer spoken? You bet! Can I be gentler? You bet! Can I love others more? You bet! Can I lead a life that is an example to others? You bet! Can you? You bet!

The last thing I will share about Fred Rogers is I don’t think it can be overstated of the role of his faith in his life, and in his practice of implementing his faith in living his life. While some are critical of people of faith, some maybe critical of Fred Rogers; there is no doubt this Television Hall of Fame Member had a tremendous impact on those he came into contact with that still moves people. If we are simply ourselves, allow God to use us, and use soft, gentle loving approaches, we as well will have a dramatic impact on others, not just for a short time though, but for an eternity.

The following are 2 video link tributes to Fred Rogers, one talking about the man, the other his faith. Check them out by clicking on the video, if the video don't appear, click on the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlTjWUziZhg



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT4chvDpjjY


Click Here to Go to The Virtual Pew Daily Verse and Read The Bible in a Year Passages

Click here for booking information to have Pastor Mike come speak or perform, from speaking to music or magic, something for all groups.

Click to visit with Pastor Mike regarding any of your needs. He will respond to each request personally, and if need be refer you to one of our other pastors.

Click to visit and join the new group The Virtual Pew, at MySpace. Become a part of a different kind of Christian group, check out the page for more information,all welcome, including those who are not followers of Jesus.

Click to visit the Virtual Pew Website and become a part of that ministry.

Click to subscribe to my blog

Click to visit and join our sister group at MySpace Hollywood Jesus.

Click to visit Mary Jane Furches' new MySpace Page

Now for those that do not know, make sure you check out the numerous articles and blogs by checking out the archives. If visiting The Virtual Pew or MySpace they are archived on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where you see newer or older listed under archives and then click there. There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives. You can also contact me for a free e-book pre edit version of The Keystone Kid at mike@thevirtualpew.comYou can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/ and on the front page down on the left side you sill see our store. Your purchase provides needed funds to The Virtual Pew. If you do not see something to purchase you can click on the search engine, (do not put anything in the search box at this time). You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for anything you desire. Hopefully you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word.Here is our contact information

The Virtual Pew
P.O. Box 17731
Wichita, KS 67217

Click on the following links to learn more about The Virtual Pew

Donations to The Virtual Pew

http://www.furches.org/donations/index.html

The Virtual Pew

The Virtual Pew Blog

Personal Furches Web Site

Mary Jane Furches MySpace Page


Mike Furches MySpace Page

Mike Furches MySpace Blog

Hollywood Jesus

Reviews With Mike

The Virtual Pew Sermons

The Virtual Pew News

MySpace Hollywood Jesus Group

MySpace The Virtual Pew Group

The Virtual Pew Live Radio Web Page

To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed

Phone Number to Call During The Virtual Pew Live Show, (Please never call prior to the start of the show) - (646) 716-8587

Phone Number to Call During The HJ Live Show, (Please never call prior to the start of the show) - (646) 716-8853

To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed -http://www.blogtalkradio.com/feeds/thevirtualpew

To Subscribe to HJ Live Live Feed –http://www.blogtalkradio.com/feeds/hollywoodjesus

No comments: